hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: event producing services and threaded or pooled model
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:32:16 GMT
This is something I've thought about as well, and don't have an easy
solution for.

I think, perhaps, a proxy should be set up and that should be the
listener.  The proxy will delegate to the actual, per-thread, service.

The problem is ... there's a tangle between ServiceModel and
ServiceImplementationFactory (specifically, the BuilderFactory
implementation) on who'se responsible for this.

I believe I'll have to add methods to ServiceModel to control this,
and have BuilderFactory merely identify which services/listeners
should be connected.  ServiceModel can decide how to procede.  So it's
doable, but will take a bit of work.

With the current code, I'd simply say ... don't do it!

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:11:03 +0700, Jean-Francois Poilpret
<jfpoilpret@hcm.vnn.vn> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have currently a recurring question in mind about the following problem:
>
> I have created a service A interface that accepts event listeners (with the
> usual addFooListener()/removeFooListener() methods).
> In the implementation class I have defined a EventListenerList member (not
> static) to hold the list of listeners to the events produced by the service.
>
> Now what will happen if I use the threaded or pooled service model for my
> service?
> For instance, if I create a second service B which implementation consumes
> the events provided by service A, construct B with BuilderFactory with the
> singleton model, how will it be linked to service A (or more exactly all the
> instances of A since it is threaded/pooled)?
>
> Can we say that HiveMind will call A.addFooListener(B) for _every_ threaded
> instance of A?
> I did not check it yet, but since I am currently working in quite a big task
> and I started wondering about this point (which answer will probably have an
> impact on what I am doing), I would need some clarification about this
> point.
> I tried to find the answer to my question in the doc to no avail.
>
> Thank you in advance for any answer
>
> Cheers

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry