hivemind-user mailing list archives

From "Hensley, Richard" <Richard.Hens...@McKesson.com>
Subject RE: Transaction Service, Hibernate without JTA
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:54:25 GMT
Would using the Spring code with a HiveMind wrapper imply any spring
dependencies?

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Lewis Ship [mailto:hlship@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 12:50 PM
To: hivemind-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Transaction Service, Hibernate without JTA

I've been emailing back and forth with Rod Johnson; I'd much rather
leverage their code than re-invent it.  Seems like we should be able
to create a HiveMind wrapper around the Spring transaction interceptor
and be done with it.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:19:10 +0700, Jean-Francois Poilpret
<jfpoilpret@hcm.vnn.vn> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was thinking about James' remark regarding the fact that we should work
on
> a generic Transaction Service utility for Hivemind.
> This service would have implementations for JDBC connections/transactions,
> JTA transactions, Hibernate transactions...
> I started to have some reflection about that and dramatically refactored
> code that I had started to write for Hibernate support. This is quite a
lot
> of work actually!
>
> About Hibernate I was wondering about one important point:
> - outside the context of JTA, does it make sense to allow creating more
than
> one SessionFactory (ie, more than one DB to connect to)? If so, then how
> should we manage transactions? I mean, if your code works at the same time
> with 2 sessions (referencing 2 different databases), when the time comes
for
> the transaction service to commit the work, what should it do to commit 2
> transactions independently of one another (no JTA), what should happen in
> case of a problem?
> - wouldn't it sound better (I mean, more logical) to restrict usage of
only
> one SessionFactory when there is no JTA transaction service available?
>
> Actually, the same question applies as well to JDBC: should we allow
having
> more than one DataSource in the system?
>
> Some ideas about that?
>
> If I have more time this week-end I will try to come up with a first
version
> including the following:
> - TransactionService interface + dependent classes (the "transaction
> framework"...)
> - JdbcTransactionService + simple example
> - HibernateTransactionService (draft) in "mono-SessionFactory" + simple
> example
>
> It could be ready for upload during next week.
>
> JTA will certainly not come until much later (I have to self-learn about
it
> first and find out a JTA Manager that can work out of the box (ie, not
> inside a complete EJB container)).

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind