hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Holger Krug <hk...@rationalizer.com>
Subject Re: Hivemind Hibernate integration
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:25:33 GMT
Am Do, den 21.10.2004 schrieb Howard Lewis Ship um 17:01:
> I have not yet looked at the code, but I can say that Hibernate
> related code can't be hosted inside the HiveMind project proper, or
> anywhere on apache.org, because of licensing concerns.

Why ? Hibernate uses a relaxed version of LGPL saying:

"Using Hibernate (by importing Hibernate's public interfaces in your
Java code), and extending Hibernate (by subclassing or implemention of
an extension interface) is considered by the authors of Hibernate to be
dynamic linking. Hence our interpretation of the LGPL is that the use of
the unmodified Hibernate source does not affect the license of your
application code." (see http://www.hibernate.org/196.html).

Hence it is possible to issue code referencing Hibernate classes under
the Apache License.

Greetings,
Holger Krug