hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML/SDL compatibility, Hivedoc, Validation
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:49:26 GMT
HiveDoc from XML is exactly the same as HiveDoc from SDL, i.e.:

<module id="foo.bar.Baz" version="1.0.0">
  Documentation for this module, etc., etc.

  <configuration-point id="MyConfig">
  Documentation for this config, etc.

  </configuration-point>
</module>

As with Ant build files, you can't generate a schema for HiveMind
descriptor files because they are self-defining and inter-dependent
(module A may define a schema that determines the valid format for
portions of module B, for example).

Generating HiveDoc: the easy part is reading all the available
descriptors to form the master registry.xml ... there's an Ant task to
do that. The tricky part is combinding that with the hivedoc XSL files
(but even that's not too hard).

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:26:27 +0200, Wunderlich, Lars
<lars.wunderlich@tui.de> wrote:
> The documentation on the website says: "XML will continue to be supported as
> a first class citizen, but in HiveMind, there is not such a compelling
> reason to use it!" Conclusion: XML and SDL should be compatible!?
>
> We try to decide between SDL and XML in our project at the moment. In
> comparison to XML adequate tools for SDL creation seem to be missing,
> therefore XML might be our preferred candidate as configuration format.
>
> But there are three questions:
>
> 1.) How can Hivedoc documentation be integrated inside the XML format? Are
> there any detailled examples available?
> 2.) How can we create hivedoc documentation from configuration files? There
> are Ant XML targets inside the distributes build.xml file but an extraction
> of the main hivedoc target seems to be complex, isn't it!?
> 3.) Is there any XML Schema available to validate XML structure against? SDL
> has no validation at all, the complete validation seems to be processed
> inside the org.apache.hivemind.parse.DescriptorParser. I think it could be
> build up by creating an XML Schema by hand referring to the complete
> documentation. Is that right?
>
> Best regards
>
> Lars Wunderlich

Howard M. Lewis Ship