hivemind-user mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: Hivemind questions
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 15:54:54 GMT
Do you mean, have a single implementation but have multiple services (and multiple service
interfaces)?

Or do you mean, have a single implementation and single service, but allow it to implement
many
interfaces?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
http://howardlewisship.com <http://howardlewisship.com/>

-----Original Message-----
From: Sikha, Naresh [mailto:Naresh.Sikha@schwab.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 10:52 AM
To: 'hivemind-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Hivemind questions

Hivemind users,

I have the following questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

1. Is it possible for a service to expose multiple, distinct, interfaces? An example is a
service
that exposes a 'business interface' (getQuote) and an 'infrastructure' interface (getQuoteHitCount).
Using multiple interfaces allows for exposing only the necessary methods to the appropriate
consumers while still preserving the singleton semantic.

2. What is the goal of making 'serviceId' distinct from 'serviceInterface'? For brokering
pattern
situations (many unique instances of a common interface like Servlet) I see value here, but
for true
singleton services it would be convenient to only have a dependency on the the interface like
so:

getService(BusinessService.class);

I guess as much as this is second question is a feature request, I would like to solicit rationale
first for the current design.

Thanks!

Naresh Sikha
Senior Staff, Technology Solutions
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
211 Main Street
SF211MN-07-347
San Francisco, CA 94105-1918
W: 415-667-1286
F: 415-667-9397
E: naresh.sikha@schwab.com
WARNING: All email sent to this address will be received by the Charles Schwab & Co.,
Inc. corporate
email system and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.