hivemind-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Forrest --> Maven conversion
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2006 04:47:13 GMT
I've been taking the first few steps at converting the existing
documentation from Forrest format to Maven's xdoc format (which is a
simplified XHTML with a couple of extra elements).

I've been using the Oxygen XML editor to help. I've written a XSL that
does most of the work.

The way I have things setup, its easier to move the Forrest files
around slightly, then I can batch convert the files to their proper
format and location.  Eventually, I can delete the forrest files.

You may notice that I'm copying links.ent around too ... this is to
keep the XSL transformer happy when reading the XML files.  Using the
old Ant scripts. the XML files were copied to a staging area that
includes links.ent before the conversions to HTML (via Forrest and
Cocoon) occured.

There's a bunch of ugly stuff to take care of in the long run,
including relative URLs from the documentation files to each other,
and to HiveDoc and JavaDoc, as well as a number of links using the
Forrest "site:" URL scheme.

However, the bulk of the work is handled using XSL.

I'll do more when I get back from Vegas.

The Oxygen tool is very handy; it includes an XSL debugger that lets
you step through the transformation. You can set breakpoints inside
your XSL file or your input XML file.  Neato.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry