hivemind-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Wannheden <knut.wannhe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HiveMind application inside Eclipse
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:38:57 GMT
Harish,

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:03:23 -0500, Harish Krishnaswamy
<harishkswamy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did a similar thing for work here, but did not use Eclipse; a suite
> of applications hosted by a very light-weight platform that provides a
> single extension point for adding applications. The platform discovers
> applications (a la plugins) in the classpath and adds it to the
> platform.
>
> I suppose you are trying to use eclipse's discovery mechanism and
> HiveMind's injection and interception features? Do you want to share
> components between plugins? That may be a problem. What is your motive
> in using eclipse? SWT?

My motive for running the application in Eclipse is that it's an IDE
application we're developing, which we want to move to Eclipse. At the
same time I'd like to continue using HiveMind to structure the
application as services and configurations.

In my mind all of my HiveMind modules correspond quite well to
individual Eclipse plugins. So I'd like to wrap every module with a
plugin and have the HiveMind registry span all plugins.

I just created a simple Eclipse HiveMind plugin which lets other
plugins register HiveMind modules using an extension point. The plugin
implementation is really just a wrapper around the RegistryBuilder.  I
had a few class loader issues to deal with, but overall HiveMind and
Eclipse seem to get along quite nicely.

--knut