hivemind-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Wannheden <knut.wannhe...@gmail.com>
Subject HiveMind application inside Eclipse
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:33:21 GMT
Hi all,

I don't know if this sounds a little bit odd, but I'd like to run a
HiveMind application inside Eclipse. As the application is split into
multiple modules, of which not always all will be used, I thought it
would be natural to map every module to an Eclipse plugin.

Without thinking further about it I did just that. Of course I ran
into problems: HiveMind doesn't find the module descriptors as I think
the Eclipse plugins are all loaded by a separate class loaders.

Before trying to implement a solution to this I was wondering if
anybody else had done something like this before.

I think it should be quite easy to support HiveMind applications
inside Eclipse. I'd have to create a HiveMind plugin which exposes a
extension point for registering HiveMind modules in other plugins.
This should let HiveMind (using a custom ModuleDescriptorProvider)
construct the registry. Are there problems with this approach or can
someone think of a better idea?

Cheers,

--knut