hivemind-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Working on something nifty with translators
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:54:09 GMT
Did a little thinking outside the box recently w.r.t. BuilderFactory.

Dieter wanted to "subclass" BuilderFactory to add new parameter
elements ... elements that made it easier to set service properties.

He wanted to do this because BuilderFactory has a fixed number of
elements, corresponding to a fix set of acceptible types: string,
long, service, configuration, etc.

But what if the shoe was on the other foot?

What if BuilderFactory had a set-object element that could, magically,
take any type of object, and didn't care where it came from? Maybe its
an object, or a configuration, or a service ... or even a property
obtained from a service?

The system I'm working on will allow that.

A prefix on the contribution will allow its type to be interpreted, i.e.:

service:foo.bar.Baz
instance:org.foo.bar.Boo
configuration:foo.bar.Blip
bean:foo.bar.Baz:fred
service-property:foo.bar.Baz:glip

Those are examples off the top of my head.

Of course, there'll be a configuration to define prefixes, and
services to implement each type of prefix.  If the one you need isn't
available, then you'll be able to supply your own.

Basically, it's a meta-level above translators.

This will remove a lot of redundancy in some contributions: for
example, the Pipeline schema is doubled: to allow service
contributions, or contributions from bean factories.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry