hive-user mailing list archives

From Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jcamachorodrig...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: CURRENT_TIMESTAMP timezone in hive 3.1
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:02:37 GMT
Hi Andrey,

Thanks for reporting this. This is a bug introduced by the JIRA you reference, since CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
should not use UTC for every case. I have created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-21039
to fix the issue and discuss about the desired behavior.

-Jesús

From: Andrey Zinovyev <andrey.zinovyev@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM
To: "user@hive.apache.org" <user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: CURRENT_TIMESTAMP timezone in hive 3.1

We're upgrading from hive 1.2 to 3.1 and it seems like new hive returns CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
in UTC timezone. But before it was in local (system's default) timezone.

According to HIVE-5472 current_timestamp should use user's local timezone. This behaviour
was changed in HIVE-12192  (if I got it right). GenericUDFCurrentTimestamp now explicitly
uses UTC as timezone to initialise org.apache.hadoop.hive.common.type.Timestamp

Is it some intentional change or some misconfiguration from on our side?

For example
Old hive:
hive> select current_timestamp;
OK