hive-user mailing list archives

From <stephane.d...@orange.com>
Subject Hive JDBC - Method not Supported
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 20:03:57 GMT
Hello all,

I'm trying to use JasperStudio with Hive using JDBC in order to produce reports. As far as
I can see, my Hive setup (2.3) seems to work correctly, I can interact with it with Hive CLI
and connect using beeline. Now when it comes to JasperStudio, it seems to work correctly at
the beginning, connection is OK, I can even see my table and the fields.  I use the JDBC jar
provided by Hive in the JDBC directory.

But then I get an error message when wanting to go further: "Method Not Supported", here is
the full stack trace:

net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: java.sql.SQLFeatureNotSupportedException: Method
not supported
    at com.jaspersoft.studio.data.jdbc.JDBCFieldsProvider.getFields(JDBCFieldsProvider.java:120)
    at com.jaspersoft.studio.data.jdbc.JDBCDataAdapterDescriptor.getFields(JDBCDataAdapterDescriptor.java:70)
    at com.jaspersoft.studio.property.dataset.dialog.DataQueryAdapters.doGetFields(DataQueryAdapters.java:518)
    at com.jaspersoft.studio.data.designer.AQueryDesignerContainer$1.run(AQueryDesignerContainer.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLFeatureNotSupportedException: Method not supported
    at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveResultSetMetaData.getTableName(HiveResultSetMetaData.java:102)
    at com.jaspersoft.studio.data.jdbc.JDBCFieldsProvider.getFields(JDBCFieldsProvider.java:112)
    ... 4 more
One can think that it is a pure JasperStudio, but actually it looks like this Hive issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-3015 which was a JDBC bug fixed later.

This is why I post in this mailing list.

Last but not least: I'm totally new to Hive, and a little bit confused with version: which
one should I take for production: 1.2.2? 2.1.1? 2.2.0? 2.3.0? What about JDBC?

Thanks a lot for help,

St├ęphane

et ne doivent donc
erreur, veuillez le signaler
susceptibles d'alteration,

be protected by law;
and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed
or falsified.
Thank you.