hive-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Harris <Ryan.Har...@zionsbancorp.com>
Subject RE: Is it possible to use LOAD DATA INPATH with a PARTITIONED, STORED AS PARQUET table?
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2017 22:14:23 GMT
For A) I’d recommend mapping an EXTERNAL table to the raw/original source files…then you
can just run a SELECT query from the EXTERNAL source and INSERT into your destination.

LOAD DATA can be very useful when you are trying to move data between two tables that share
the same schema but 1 table is partitioned and the other table is NOT partitioned…once the
files have been inserted into the unpartitioned table the source files from the hive warehouse
can be added to the partitioned table using LOAD DATA.  Another place I’ve frequently used
LOAD DATA is when synchronizing hive table data between two clusters, the hive warehouse data
files can be copied from one cluster to the other with distcp and then loading the data flies
to the duplicate cluster using LOAD DATA to ensure the metadata is recorded in hive metastore.

From: Dmitry Goldenberg [mailto:dgoldenberg@hexastax.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 3:31 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to use LOAD DATA INPATH with a PARTITIONED, STORED AS PARQUET
table?

[External Email]
________________________________
Right, that makes sense, Dudu.

So basically, if we have our data in "some form", and a goal of loading it into a parquet,
partitioned table in Hive, we have two choices:

A. Load this data into a temporary table first. Presumably, for this we should be able to
do a LOAD INPATH, from delimited data files. Perhaps we could designate the temp table as
transactional and then simply do direct INSERT's into this temp table - ? Then, as the second
step, we'd do an INSERT... SELECT, to move the data into the destination table, and then DROP
the temp table.

B. Represent the data as a delimited format and do a LOAD INPATH directly into the destination
table. Understandably, we lose the 'data verification' this way. If we go this route, must
the data in the input files be in the PARQUET format or in a delimited format?  I would guess,
the former.  And, how does partitioning play into it?  How would the input data need to be
organized and inserted so as to adhere to the partitions (the 'date' and 'content-type' columns,
in my example)?

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Markovitz, Dudu <dmarkovitz@paypal.com<mailto:dmarkovitz@paypal.com>>