hive-user mailing list archives

From Eugene Koifman <ekoif...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Compactions doesn't launch on Hive 1.1.0
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:26:38 GMT
As Gopal said, you have to run a standalone metastore process for compactor to work.
More on that in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AdminManual+MetastoreAdmin#AdminManualMetastoreAdmin-RemoteMetastoreServer.

Please note that the transaction specific configuration properties in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+Transactions#HiveTransactions-Configuration
are split into client and server groups.
The server group should be set in the config of the metastore process.

Eugene

From: Максим Буйлин <builin.maxim@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 1:50 AM
To: "user@hive.apache.org" <user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Compactions doesn't launch on Hive 1.1.0

Thanks!
In logs i only see messages of DummyTxnManager, nothing about DbTxnManager.

When i connected to hive i use "set hive.txn.manager=org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DbTxnManager;".
How else i can configure transaction manager?

> I try reduce check interval and launch it manuallty with command "Alter
> table tx_tbl compaction 'major';". Nothing helps.

You can check the hive metastore log and confirm it also has the DbTxnManager
set up & that it is triggering the compactions.

Without a standalone metastore, the hive ACID compactor threads are not triggered.

Cheers,
Gopal