hive-user mailing list archives

From Gopal Vijayaraghavan <gop...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zero Bytes Files importance
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 01:59:25 GMT
> Thanks Gopal. Yeah I'm using CloudBerry.  Storage is Azure.

Makes sense, only an object store would have this.

> Are you saying this 0000_0,1,2,3 are directories ?.

No, only the zero size "files".

This is really for compat with regular filesystems.

If you have /tmp/1/foo in an object store that's a single key. That does not imply you'll
find "/tmp" or "/tmp/1" in the object store keys.

A FileSystem however assumes parent directories are "real things", so any FileSystem abstraction
has to maintain "/tmp", "/tmp/1/" and "/tmp/1/foo" to keep up the basic compatibility requirements
of fs.exists("/tmp").

Cheers,
Gopal