hive-user mailing list archives

From Carter Shanklin <car...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Adding a Hive Statement of SQL Conformance to the docs
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:09:08 GMT
I get asked from time to time what Hive's level of SQL conformance is, and it's difficult to
provide a clean answer. Most SQL systems have some detailed statement of SQL conformance to
help answer this question.

For a year or so I've maintained a spreadsheet that tracks Hive's SQL conformance, inspired
by the Postgres SQL Conformance page<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/features.html>.
I've copied this spreadsheet into a publicly viewable Google Spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VaAqkPXtjhT_oYniUW1I2xMmAFlxqp2UFkemL9-U14Q/edit#gid=0

I propose to add a static version of this document to the Hive Wiki, and to version it with
one static SQL Conformance page per Hive major release, starting with Hive 2.1 and moving
forward. So for example there would be one page for Hive 2.1, one for Hive 2.2 when it is
released, and so on.

At this point I don't guarantee the spreadsheet's complete accuracy. Getting it into the public
wiki with multiple editors should quickly eliminate any errors.

Does anyone have comments, suggestions or objections?

Thanks,