hive-user mailing list archives

From Peter Vary <pv...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Can I specify database name in hive metastore service?
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:49:13 GMT
Hi Huang,

Hive metastore is a component of the "Hive database". See:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Design

The metastore uses traditional RDBMS to store "the structure information of
the various tables and partitions in the warehouse". The
javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL and the
javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName configuration options are used to
access this RDBMS database. The hive.metastore.uris is the endpoint where
the metastore will communicate with the other Hive components, like the
HiveServer2.
So you can change the database name in the connectionUrl, which will change
only the database name where the metadata is stored in the relational
database and you can not add a database name to the thrift uri (metastore
uri) since HiveServer2 will use the same uri to access metadata regardless
of which Hive database is used by the client.

I hope this helps,
Peter