hive-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Doubt on Hive Partitioning.
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 07:55:25 GMT
I do not think so, but never tested it.

> On 02 Aug 2016, at 03:45, Qiuzhuang Lian <qiuzhuang.lian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is this partition pruning fixed in MR too except for TEZ in newer hive version?
>
> Regards,
>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It happens in old hive version of the filter is only in the where clause and NOT
in the join clause. This should not happen in newer hive version. You can check it by executing
explain dependency query.

>>> On 01 Aug 2016, at 11:07, Abhishek Dubey <Abhishek.Dubey@Xoriant.Com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>

>>> I have a very big table t with billions of rows and it is partitioned on a column
p. Column p  has datatype text and values like ‘201601’, ‘201602’…upto ‘201612’.

>>> And, I am running a query like : Select columns from t where p=’201604’.
>>>

>>> My question is : Can there be a scenario/condition/probability that my query
will do a complete table scan on t instead of only reading data for specified partition key.
If yes, please put some light on those scenario.

>>> I’m asking this because someone told me that there is a probability that the
query will ignore the partitioning and do a complete table scan to fetch output.