hive-user mailing list archives

From Abhishek Dubey <Abhishek.Du...@Xoriant.Com>
Subject Doubt on Hive Partitioning.
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 09:07:33 GMT
Hi All,

I have a very big table t with billions of rows and it is partitioned on a column p. Column
p  has datatype text and values like '201601', '201602'...upto '201612'.
And, I am running a query like : Select columns from t where p='201604'.

My question is : Can there be a scenario/condition/probability that my query will do a complete
table scan on t instead of only reading data for specified partition key. If yes, please put
some light on those scenario.

I'm asking this because someone told me that there is a probability that the query will ignore
the partitioning and do a complete table scan to fetch output.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek Dubey