hive-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hive External Storage Handlers
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2016 05:51:38 GMT
So not use a self-compiled hive or Spark version, but only the ones supplied by distributions
(cloudera, Hortonworks, Bigtop...) You will face performance problems, strange errors etc
when building and testing your code using self-compiled versions.

If you use the Hive APIs then the engine should not be relevant for your storage handler.
Nevertheless, the APIs of the storage handler might have changed.

However, I wonder why a 1-1 mapping does not work for you.

> On 18 Jul 2016, at 22:46, Mich Talebzadeh <mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> You can move up to Hive 2 that works fine and pretty stable. You can opt for Hive 1.2.1
if yoy wish.

> If you want to use Spark (the replacement for Shark) as the execution engine for Hive
then the version that works (that I have managed to make it work with Hive is Spark 1.3.1)
that you will need to build from source.

> It works and it is table.
>
> Otherwise you may decide to use Spark Thrift Server (STS) that allows JDBC access to
Spark SQL (through beeline, Squirrel , Zeppelin) that has Hive SQL context built into it as
if you were using Hive Thrift Server (HSS)

> HTH
>

> Dr Mich Talebzadeh

> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com
>
> Disclaimer: Use it at your own risk. Any and all responsibility for any loss, damage
or destruction of data or any other property which may arise from relying on this email's
technical content is explicitly disclaimed. The author will in no case be liable for any monetary
damages arising from such loss, damage or destruction.

>> On 18 July 2016 at 21:38, Lavelle, Shawn <Shawn.Lavelle@osii.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>>     I am working with an external storage handler written for Hive 0.11 and run on
a Shark execution engine.  I’d like to move forward and upgrade to hive 1.2.1 on spark 1.6
or even 2.0.

>>    This storage has a need to run queries across tables existing in different databases
in the external data store, so existing drivers that map hive to external storage in 1 to
1 mappings are insufficient. I have attempted this upgrade already, but found out that predicate
pushdown was not occurring.  Was this changed in 1.2?

>>    Can I update and use the same storage handler in Hive or has this concept been
replaced by the RDDs and DataFrame API?