hive-user mailing list archives

From Matthew McCline <mmccl...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: ORC does not support type conversion from INT to STRING.
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 21:31:11 GMT

Hi Mahender,

Schema Evolution is available on the latest recent version of Hive.

For example, if you set hive.metastore.disallow.incompatible.col.type.changes=false;? on master
(i.e. hive2) it will support INT to STRING conversion.

If you need to remain on an older version, then you are out of luck.

Thanks,

Matt

________________________________
From: Mahender Sarangam <Mahender.BigData@outlook.com>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 1:59 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: ORC does not support type conversion from INT to STRING.

Hi Mich,

Sorry for delay in responding. here is the scenario,

We have created new cluster  and we have moved all ORC File data into new cluster. We have
re-created table pointing to ORC location. We have modified data type of ORC table from INT
to String. From then onward, we were unable to fire select statement against this ORC table,
hive keep throwing exception, "Orc table select. Unable to convert Int to String". Looks like
it is bug in ORC table only. Where in we modify the datatype from int to string, is causing
problem with ORC reading/select statement, it throws exceptio. Please let me know if there
are any workaround for this scenario. Is this behavior expected previously also.

/Mahender