hive-user mailing list archives

From Gopal Vijayaraghavan <>
Subject Re: Anyone successfully deployed Hive on TEZ engine?
Date Mon, 30 May 2016 11:30:52 GMT
> I do not use any vendor's product., All my own set up, build and

My autobuild scripts should serve as readable documentation for this,
since nearly everything's in a single Makefile with an install: target.

Or take the easy route with

$ make dist install

In case you use the llap branch, just do "set
hive.llap.execution.mode=none;" to use Tez.

> java version "1.8.0_77"
> Hadoop 2.6.0

Looks good so far.

> Ok I just need to make it work as I have hive on spark engine as well.

You're missing 3 things approximately - if you read through the Makefile
in github.

First, a good tez-site.xml in the classpath (remember, tez.lib.uris needs
to be an HDFS path - for the rest, see the base file from autobuild).

I usually update Tez to ${}/user/gopal/tez/tez.tar.gz and I
do not use the minimal tarball, but the full dist tarball.

The fixed tarball means it hits all the good localization characteristics
of YARN, which can add up to minutes on a >250+ node cluster.

Second, put that in the classpath for Hive (append to

> export

Replace $INSTALL_ROOT with wherever Tez is located.

Third, disable the hive-1.x jars coming from SparkSQL (append/create in

After that, you can do

> hive --hiveconf hive.execution.engine=tez

to get Tez working (add --hiveconf<queue> to use queues).

View raw message