hive-user mailing list archives

From mahender bigdata <Mahender.BigD...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: Any difference between LOWER and LCASE
Date Wed, 11 May 2016 14:53:55 GMT
Thanks Dudu, looks like both of them pointing to same class. Let me
check if there is any problem with data which is not visible and
surprising LCASE is resolving issue but not lower.

On 5/10/2016 9:43 PM, Markovitz, Dudu wrote:
> Hi
>
> According to documentation LCASE is a synonym for LOWER.
>  From what I've seen in the source code, it seems right.
>
> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/f089f2e64241592ecf8144d044bec8a0659ff422/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/FunctionRegistry.java
>
>      system.registerGenericUDF("lower", GenericUDFLower.class);
>      system.registerGenericUDF("lcase", GenericUDFLower.class);
>

> Please verify that you've run the exact same queries.
> If you still see an issue, please share the relevant DDL (table/tables definition) and
a small subset of data so I would be able to reproduce it.

> Thanks
>
> Dudu

when we are using LOWER in where condition, it is failing to match record. When we changed
to LCASE, it started matching.
> I surprised to see differences in LOWER and LCASE. Can any one know why there 2 function
for same functionality. Is there any thing to do with any special or Unicode characters where
Lower and LCASE differs in functionality