hive-user mailing list archives

From "Markovitz, Dudu" <dmarkov...@paypal.com>
Subject RE: Any difference between LOWER and LCASE
Date Wed, 11 May 2016 04:43:36 GMT
Hi

According to documentation LCASE is a synonym for LOWER.
From what I've seen in the source code, it seems right.

https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/f089f2e64241592ecf8144d044bec8a0659ff422/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/FunctionRegistry.java

    system.registerGenericUDF("lower", GenericUDFLower.class);
    system.registerGenericUDF("lcase", GenericUDFLower.class);

Please verify that you've run the exact same queries.
If you still see an issue, please share the relevant DDL (table/tables definition) and a small
subset of data so I would be able to reproduce it.

Thanks

Dudu

-----Original Message-----
From: mahender bigdata [mailto:Mahender.BigData@outlook.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:55 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Any difference between LOWER and LCASE

Hi Team,

Is there any difference between LOWER and LCASE functions in Hive. For one of the query, when
we are using LOWER in where condition, it is failing to match record. When we changed to LCASE,
it started matching.
I surprised to see differences in LOWER and LCASE. Can any one know why there 2 function for
same functionality. Is there any thing to do with any special or Unicode characters where
Lower and LCASE differs in functionality

/MS