hive-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query Failing while querying on ORC Format
Date Tue, 17 May 2016 14:25:16 GMT
I do not remember exactly, but I think it worked simply by adding a new partition to the old
table with the additional columns.

> On 17 May 2016, at 15:00, Mich Talebzadeh <mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mahendar,
>
> That version 1.2 is reasonable.
>
> One alternative is to create a new table (new_table) in Hive with columns from old_table
plus the added column new_column as ORC etc

> Do an INSERT/SELECT from old_table to new_table
>
> INSERT INTO new_table
> SELECT *, <value_for_new_column) from old_table
> ALTER old_table RENAME to old_table_KEEP
> RENAME new_table TO ol_table
>
> That should work. Check the syntax.
>
> HTH
>
> Dr Mich Talebzadeh

> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com
>

>> On 16 May 2016 at 23:53, mahender bigdata <Mahender.BigData@outlook.com> wrote:
>> I'm on Hive 1.2
>>
>>> On 5/16/2016 12:02 PM, Matthew McCline       wrote:
>>> ​
>>> What version of Hive are you on?

6 months data and here month is Partition by column. Now we have modified ORC partition bucketed
table schema. We have added 2 more columns to the ORC table. Now whenever we are running select
statement for older month which has no columns( even though these             columns are
not part in select clause, (projection column) ), it is throwing exception.

>>> There is JIRA bug for this kind of requirement has already been raised.
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-11981
>>>
>>> Can any one please tell me know alternative workaround for reading old previous
columns of ORC partition table.