hive-user mailing list archives

From Yong Zhang <java8...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Hive 0.12 MAPJOIN hangs sometimes
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2016 15:33:04 GMT
I understand the Hive version problem.
We are using IBM BigInsights V3.0.0.2, which comes with Hadoop 2.2.0 and Hive 0.12.  It is
extremely difficult to upgrade to BigInsights v4.x, as IBM did V4 totally different as V3.
We are looking for the option to upgrade, but it won't be a fast way.
The query and log is very big, so I attached them in the file.
Thanks
Yong

From: jornfranke@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Hive 0.12 MAPJOIN hangs sometimes
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 15:55:42 +0100
To: user@hive.apache.org

Honestly 0.12 is a no go - you miss a lot of performance improvements. Probably your query
would execute in less than a minute. If your Hadoop vendor does not support smooth upgrades
then change it. Hive 1.2.1 is the absolute minimum including using Orc or parquet as a table
format and tez (preferred) or spark as an execution engine.
To your questions: It seems that the logger is configured wrongly that is why you may miss
some messages.
What is the exact join query. Hive on older version needed a special syntax if you wanted
to benefit from partition pruning.
Which Hadoop version are you using.