hive-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ODBC drivers for Hive 2
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2016 21:03:38 GMT

Just out of curiosity: what is the code base for the odbc drivers by Hortonworks, cloudera
& co? Did they develop them on their own?

If yes, maybe one should think about an open source one, which is reliable and supports a
richer set of Odbc functionality.

Especially in the light of Orc,parquet, llap, tez and spark on Hive the odbc driver has actually
now some use cases for interactive analytics. I can see already some improvements that could
be made especially for visual analytic tools, such as Tableau or Spotfire.

> On 10 Mar 2016, at 21:49, Toby Allsopp <toby.allsopp@wherescape.com> wrote:
>
> I've had the best luck with the Hortonworks driver (32-bit Windows). The Cloudera and
Microsoft ones have seemed flaky (crashes, some SQL not supported). I haven't tried the Data
Direct driver.

> Cheers,
> Toby.
>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Mich Talebzadeh <mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The best ODBC drivers that I found to work with Hive 2 is Progress Data Direct driver
for Hive (ODBC 3 compliant)..

>> I tried Cloudera one very shaky (although I tried that on Hive 1.2.1). Tried Microsoft
ones but it hangs. Just to be clear I am using 64-bit drivers.

>> This is not direct data fetch from Hive tables. I have used Power Designer to create
a Physical Mo from Hive schema/database using ODBC3 connection (Power designer does not have
Hive in list of its databases so ODB3  is the choice).