hive-user mailing list archives

From Sergey Shelukhin <ser...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: list bucketing join
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 18:23:07 GMT
It’s probably a bug. Can you file a JIRA with the full callstack? As far as I know, list
bucketing is not widely used, so the bug might have been introduced unwittingly, but it’s
hard to tell without seeing the callstack.

From: Shangzhong zhu <shanzhong@gmail.com<mailto:shanzhong@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, February 12, 2016 at 18:59
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>" <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: list bucketing join

Hi All,

List bucketing seems to be a very nice feature to further partition on skewed values. However
when I am testing this feature out, seems to me it doesn't work well to join a list bucketing
table with a non-list bucketing table.

List bucketing tables: Partitioned table. I defined two skewed columns. RCFile format.
Non list bucketing tables: Non-partitioned table, RCFile format.

When join these two tables, I got the following error, even just doing a "explain":

FAILED: NullPointerException null

Anybody has any clues here? Can someone give me a working join example of list bucketing table.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Shanzhong