hive-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Vasko <kva...@gmail.com>
Subject Hive fails with IOException: Error writing to server on long query
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2016 22:30:20 GMT

> I have an external table defined over a folder that contains XML documents. There is
1 column in this table with the column containing each documents data as a string.

> I am trying to create a view on top of the XML data with xpaths. So for example,
>
> CREATE VIEW myview (column1,...Column N) AS SELECT xpath_string(rawxml, '/my/xpath/to/value'),
xpath_string(rawxml, '/another/xpath') FROM myxmltable;

> The XML document has 400+ xpaths that I want to grab and put into the view. I can do
about 60 columns worth of xpaths before I get this error.

> FAILED: Hive Internal Error: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException(java.io.IOException:
java.io.IOException: Error writing to server)
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException:
Error writing to server
> at com.sun.jersey.client.urlconnection.URLConnectionClientHandler.handle(URLConnectionClientHandler.java:149)
> at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.handle(Client.java:648)
> My cursory research seems to indicate that the query string is too long and is breaking
something. I have an application that generates my select statement with the 400 or so xpaths
which is about 60kb worth of text. I am then just copy and pasting it into the hivecli. I
also tried using beeline and get the same error. Anyone have a suggestion for a workaround?