hive-user mailing list archives

From "Chagarlamudi, Prasanth" <prasanth.chagarlam...@epsilon.com>
Subject Hive Permanent functions not working after a cluster restart.
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2016 18:07:07 GMT
I created permanent functions(rather than temp functions) in Hive to use it across different
sessions. It all works fine until I actually restart the hive server or cluster for any reason.

So is this the intended functionality of  Permanent functions?
Here is the hive doc link for Permanent functions.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-Create/Drop/ReloadFunction

1)      Placed my utils jar for hive in hdfs location hdfs:///opt/myUtiljars/myUtil.jar

2)      Create function schemaName.myFunctName as 'com.myclass.name' using 'hdfs:///opt/myUtiljars/myUtil.jar'

3)      Select schemaName.myFunctName() from tableName;

This is what I did to create a permanent function through beeline. And this is working fine
in other beeline sessions as well.
Now after I restart the servers I was able to see the functions name in "show functions;"
command but I cannot use this function in any of my queries.

When I issue the command in 3) Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException
Line 0:-1 Invalid function schemaName.myFunctName ' (state=42000,code=40000)

I would like to create Permanent functions as mentioned above and I don't want to deal with
them every time I restart.

Any corrections(if I am missing anything) or suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Prasanth Chagarlamudi

This e-mail and files transmitted with it are confidential, and are intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason
to believe that you received this message in error, please immediately notify sender by e-mail,
and destroy the original message. Thank You.