hive-user mailing list archives

From "Gerber, Bryan W" <Bryan.Ger...@pnnl.gov>
Subject RE: Loading data containing newlines
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2016 00:13:26 GMT
1.       hdfs dfs -copyFromLocal /incoming/files/*.bz2  hdfs://host.name/data/stg/table/

2.       CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE stg_<table> (cols...) ROW FORMAT serde 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.OpenCSVSerde'
STORED AS TEXTFILE LOCATION '/data/stg/table/'

3.       CREATE TABLE <table> (cols...) STORE AS ORC  tblproperties ("orc.compress"="ZLIB");

4.       INSERT INTO TABLE <table> SELECT cols, udf1(cola), udf2(colb),functions(),etc.
FROM ext_<table>

5.       Delete files from hdfs://host.name/data/stg/table/

This has been working quite well, until our newest data contains fields with embedded newlines.

We are now looking into options further up the pipeline to see if we can condition the data
earlier in the process.

From: Mich Talebzadeh [mailto:mich@peridale.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:34 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: RE: Loading data containing newlines

Thanks Brian.

Just to clarify do you use something like below?

1.  hdfs dfs -copyFromLocal /var/tmp/t.bcp hdfs://rhes564.hedat.net:9000/misc/t.bcp

2.  CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE <TABLE> name (col1 INT, col2 string, ...) COMMENT 'load from
bcp file'ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' STORED AS ORC

Cheers,

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn  https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw

Sybase ASE 15 Gold Medal Award 2008
A Winning Strategy: Running the most Critical Financial Data on ASE 15
http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf
Author of the books "A Practitioner's Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15", ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.
co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN 978-0-9759693-0-4
Publications due shortly:
Complex Event Processing in Heterogeneous Environments, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-3-8
Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one out shortly

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com<http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/>

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This message is for the
designated recipient only, if you are not the intended recipient, you should destroy it immediately.
Any information in this message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Technology
Ltd, its subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the responsibility
of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free, therefore neither Peridale Ltd,
its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any responsibility.