hive-user mailing list archives

From Devopam Mittra <>
Subject Re: Fastest way to get the row count
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:51:11 GMT
hello Mahender,
I use beeline CLI mostly for such operations. My best bet is to parse the
output for "rows selected"...line and use it for logging the row count.
INFO - lines are an overhead but I can happily live with that to achieve my

Suggestions welcome, in case there is a cleaner way to achieve this.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 1:26 AM, mahender bigdata <> wrote:

> Hi Team,
> Is there any built-in command in hive to get ROWCOUNT of previous
> operation just like in SQL Server @@RowCount. For example: I have table
> with almost 2 GB of data per partition, We run select query on table with
> condition, which filters the records, we will be dumping those filtered
> records in to another table apart from inserting, we need insert ROWCOUNT
> inserted into another hive table. Rather than running Select count(1) or Explain
> commands, is there better way to get row count of affected row. (previous
> step row count)
> Mahender

Devopam Mittra
Life and Relations are not binary