hive-user mailing list archives

From Marcin Tustin <mtus...@handybook.com>
Subject Importing into a hive database with minimal unavailability or renaming a database
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 14:14:47 GMT
Hi All,

We import our production database into hive on a schedule using sqoop.
Unfortunately, sqoop won't update the table schema in hive when the table
schema has changed in the source database.

Accordingly, to get updates to the table schema we drop the hive table
first.

Unfortunately, this causes the data to be unavailable in hive for a certain
period of time.

Accordingly, I'd like to know how people on this list have tackled the
issue. Is there a way to get sqoop to update the table schema in hive, or
can we import into a staging hive database and rename it?

Thanks,
Marcin

--
Want to work at Handy? Check out our culture deck and open roles
<http://www.handy.com/careers>