hive-user mailing list archives

From Austin Lee <>
Subject Re: Difference between Local Hive Metastore server and A Hive-based Metastore server
Date Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:04:42 GMT
You mean local vs remote, right?  Usually, local or embedded would mean you
are doing some ad-hoc stuff and you are not persisting your metadata.
Typically, people set up a remote metastore which can be accessed from one
or more hive clients so that metadata can be persisted (in some database)
and reused.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Divya Gehlot <>

> Hi,
> I am new bee to spark and using 1.4.1
> Got confused between  Local Metastore server and a hive based metastore
> server.
> Can somebody share the usecases when to use which one  and pros and cons ?
> I am using HDP 2,.3.2 in which hive-site-xml is already in spark
> configuration directory that means HDP 2.3.2 already uses hive based
> metastore server.

View raw message