hive-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hive and HBase
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:58:33 GMT
Probably it is outdated.

Hive can access hbase tables via external tables. The execution engine in Hive can be mr,
tez, spark. Hiveql is nowadays very similar to sql . In fact, Hortonworks plans to make it
sql2011:analytics compatible.

Hbase can be accessed independently of Hive via sql using Phoenix which may become the default
interface for hbase.

Hbase may become in the future the default storage for Hive metadata, where you need nowadays
a relational database, such as MySQL, MS SQL Server or Oracle.

> On 10 Nov 2015, at 14:14, Ashok Kumar <ashok34668@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> It is from Hadoop 2 Quick-Start Guide: Learn the Essentials of Big Data Computing in
the Apache Hadoop 2 Ecosystem (Addison-Wesley Data & Analytics Series) (Kindle Locations
735-738).

> Apache Hive is a data warehouse infrastructure built on top of Hadoop for providing data
summary, ad hoc queries, and the analysis of large data sets using an SQL-like language called
HiveQL. Hive transparently translates queries into MapReduce jobs that are executed in HBase.
Hive is considered the de facto standard for interactive SQL queries over petabytes of data

> On Tuesday, 10 November 2015, 13:03, Binglin Chang <decstery@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hive transparently translates queries into MapReduce jobs that are executed in HBase
>
> I think this is not correct, are you sure it is from some book?
>

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Ashok Kumar <ashok34668@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have read in a book about Hadoop that says
>
> Apache Hive is a data warehouse infrastructure built on top of Hadoop for providing data
summary, ad hoc queries, and the analysis of large data sets using an SQL-like language called
HiveQL.

> Hive transparently translates queries into MapReduce jobs that are executed in HBase.
Hive is considered the de facto standard for interactive SQL queries over petabytes of data.

> What is the relation between Hive and HBase? I always thought that HBase is an independent
database.

> Is it correct that Hive itself uses MapReduce engine that in turn uses HBase as the database.
I always thought that Hive is a data warehouse database or I am missing something.