hive-user mailing list archives

From Elliot West <>
Subject Re: Bulk load in Hive transactions backed table
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:51:13 GMT
Are you loading new data (inserts) or mutating existing data
(update/delete) or both? And by 'transactions' are you referring to Hive
ACID transactional tables? If so:

For new data, I think you should be able to use:

INSERT INTO transactional_table ... FROM table_over_file_to_be_loaded

For updates, deletes, and inserts, the Mutation API that allows you to bulk
mutate large volumes of records in a single transaction, however it's a
Java API and you'd need to implement a job to invoke it:

Also, there is a proposed HQL MERGE command that would allow you to do
this, but it has not been implemented as yet:

On 18 November 2015 at 10:57, Jagat Singh <> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to do bulk load using files in hive table backed by
> transactions instead of update statements.
> Thanks

View raw message