hive-user mailing list archives

From Ipremyadav <ipremya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hive and HBase
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:11:38 GMT
Hbase doesn't allow sql like queries. Its built for a use case different from hive.
If you need a full fledged column based database, you can use hbase.
If you have a lot if data already there in files on hdfs and you want a sql like interface
to query the data, hive is useful there.

You can also map hbase tables to a hive table and use sql-like hive queries to query the data.

Thanks

> On 10 Nov 2015, at 10:56 a.m., Ashok Kumar <ashok34668@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> I have read in a book about Hadoop that says
>
> Apache Hive is a data warehouse infrastructure built on top of Hadoop for providing data
summary, ad hoc queries, and the analysis of large data sets using an SQL-like language called
HiveQL.

> Hive transparently translates queries into MapReduce jobs that are executed in HBase.
Hive is considered the de facto standard for interactive SQL queries over petabytes of data.

> What is the relation between Hive and HBase? I always thought that HBase is an independent
database.

> Is it correct that Hive itself uses MapReduce engine that in turn uses HBase as the database.
I always thought that Hive is a data warehouse database or I am missing something.