hive-user mailing list archives

From Gabriel Balan <gabriel.ba...@oracle.com>
Subject Utilities.copyTableJobPropertiesToConf
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 22:46:28 GMT
Hello,

May I please get a bit of help understanding the bigger picture for Utilities.copyTableJobPropertiesToConf()
<https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/318c2ef2f8e3d9bcd09b031ff3c09f1d4a8d3711/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/Utilities.java#L2472>

  * before hive 0.13 <https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/branch-0.12/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/Utilities.java#L1834>
it only copied the jobProperties to the (job)conf.
  * in hive 0.13 <https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/branch-0.13/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/Utilities.java#L2105>
it also copies "bucket_count" from 'properties';
  * after hive 13 <https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/branch-0.14/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/Utilities.java#L2340>
it started copying everything from both TableDesc.properties and TableDesc.jobProperties.

Why were the extra steps added? What are the use cases that require the extra properties in
the (job)conf?
What's the difference between the content of TableDesc.properties and TableDesc.jobProperties?

I tried to do some digging on my on, but the only JIRA I found somewhat relevant was HIVE-8637.

thank you very much
Gabriel Balan

--
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those
of Oracle Corporation.