hive-user mailing list archives

From Ashok Kumar <ashok34...@yahoo.com>
Subject Hive and HBase
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:56:46 GMT
 hi,
I have read in a book about Hadoop that says
Apache Hive is a data warehouse infrastructure built on top of Hadoop for providing data summary,
ad hoc queries, and the analysis of large data sets using an SQL-like language called HiveQL.

Hive transparently translates queries into MapReduce jobs that are executed in HBase. Hive
is considered the de facto standard for interactive SQL queries over petabytes of data.
What is the relation between Hive and HBase? I always thought that HBase is an independent
database.
Is it correct that Hive itself uses MapReduce engine that in turn uses HBase as the database.
I always thought that Hive is a data warehouse database or I am missing something.

Thanking you