hive-user mailing list archives

From Gopal Vijayaraghavan <gop...@apache.org>
Subject Re: need help to keep the Hive logo on wikipedia
Date Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:27:50 GMT

> Rights to use the Hive logo are controlled by the Apache Software
>Foundation, not by the Hive project.  You might find what you need here:
>http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/contact.
>  (I found that link here:  May I use Apache product logos on the
>cover/title of published books, articles, or other similar publications?
><http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#titlelogo>)
>> please refer to :
>>https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apache_Hive_logo.jpg

First up, this is not legal advice - but a recollection from a previous
incident.

The ASF link is about Trademark restrictions, while the permissions
demanded by Wikipedia is about Copyright.

Copyright license is covered by the APL v2, since the source image is
checked into hive git repo under docs/images/.

The reason Wikipedia has flagged this image is probably because it is
marked as "Own work" by Devopam & not attributed correctly.

Cheers,
Gopal