hive-user mailing list archives

From Raajay <raaja...@gmail.com>
Subject VolcanoPlanner vs HepPlanner
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2015 21:06:17 GMT
Hello -

While surfing the code in "apply" function of CalcitePlannerAction
(CalcitePlanner.java), I see that most rules are passed to a HepPlanner to
arrive at the "least cost" operator tree.

The HiveVolcanoPlanner although defined and initialized is never invoked to
find the best operator tree. I want to change the planner from Hep to
Volcano, for the following reason: to obtain a collection of costlier join
orders.

Passing the rules for the Hep Planner as is to HiveVolcano planner does not
help. The query plan is never altered.

Any ideas, what rules need to be passed to the HiveVolcanoPlanner for
effective CBO ?

Thanks,
Raajay