hive-user mailing list archives

From "Lonikar, Kiran" <kloni...@informatica.com>
Subject hive.aux.jars.path and add jar for storage handler
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:07:42 GMT
Hi,

We have an application that creates tables with our own storage handler.

It works if I set the env variable HIVE_AUX_JARS_PATH pointing to the dir containing the jar
of my storage handler class. This env var needs to be set before starting HiveServer2. The
alternative is to change the hive-site.xml and add the following section:

<property>
      <name>hive.aux.jars.path</name>
     <value>file:///path/to/my/storagehandler.jar,file:///path/to/other.jar</value<file:///\\path\to\my\storagehandler.jar,file:\path\to\other.jar%3c\value>>
</property>

Another alternative is to start the HS2 as:
/usr/bin/hiveserver2 --hiveconf hive.aux.jars.path=file:///path/to/my/storagehandler.jar,file:///path/to/other.jar

However, all these ways mean starting the HiveServer2 in a manner that involves sysadmin intervention.

I tried to set the set the configuration property using the "set hive.aux.jars.path= file:///path/to/my/storagehandler.jar,file:///path/to/other.jar<file:///\\path\to\my\storagehandler.jar,file:\path\to\other.jar>"
command after the JDBC session with HS2 was setup. But it did not have any effect. I am getting
the class not found error for the storage handler class from HS2 itself which means the error
is during query compilation.

I also tried the "add jar ..." command but to no avail.

Can someone explain what is the role of the property hive.aux.jars.path when set in a session?
Also, the role of add jar?

Do these take effect only for the map reduce tasks launched only? If so, whats the setting
for HiveServer2 process itself which needs to load the storage handler class during query
compilation.

-Kiran