hive-user mailing list archives

From Elliot West <>
Subject Hive Concurrency support
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:52:51 GMT
Shared locks are all that is required to insert data into transactional
tables. Multiple clients can hold a shared lock simultaneously. Each client
will write using uniquely assigned transaction ids so that their work is
isolated from one another. It should actually be possible for multiple
clients to insert into the same partition concurrently.

See slide 12 in:

Thanks - Elliot.

On Friday, 21 August 2015, Suyog Parlikar <
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','');>> wrote:

> Thanks Elliot,
> For the immediate reply.
> But as per hive locking mechanism,
> While inserting data to a partition hive acquires exclusive lock on that
> partition and shared lock on the entire table.
> How is it possible to insert data into a different partition of the same
> table while having shared lock on the table which does not allow write
> operation.
> Please correct me if my understanding about the same is wrong.
> (I am using hql inserts only for these operations)
> Thanks,
> Suyog
> On Aug 21, 2015 7:28 PM, "Elliot West" <> wrote:
>> I presume you mean "into different partitions of a table at the same
>> time"? This should be possible. It is certainly supported by the streaming
>> API, which is probably where you want to look if you need to insert large
>> volumes of data to multiple partitions concurrently. I can't see why it
>> would not also be possible with HQL INSERTs.
>> On Friday, 21 August 2015, Suyog Parlikar <>
>> wrote:
>>> Can we insert data in different partitions of a table at a time.
>>> Waiting for inputs .
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> - suyog

View raw message