hive-user mailing list archives

From James Pirz <james.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Hive 1.2.0 Unable to start metastore
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 18:52:06 GMT
I am trying to run Hive 1.2.0 on Hadoop 2.6.0 (on a cluster, running
CentOS). I am able to start Hive CLI and run queries. But once I try to
start Hive's metastore (I trying to use the builtin derby) using:

hive --service metastore

I keep getting Class Not Found Exceptions for
"org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver" (See below).

I have exported $HIVE_HOME and added $HIVE_HOME/bin and $HIVE_HOME/lib to
the $PATH, and I see that there is "derby-10.11.1.1.jar" file under
$HIVE_HOME/lib .

In my hive-site.xml (under $HIVE_HOME/conf) I have:

<property>
    <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName</name>
    <value>org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver</value>
    <description>Driver class name for a JDBC metastore</description>
  </property>

<property>
    <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
    <value>jdbc:derby:;databaseName=metastore_db;create=true</value>
    <description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>
  </property>

So I am not sure, why it can not find it.
Any suggestion or hint would be highly appreciated.

Here is the error:

javax.jdo.JDOFatalInternalException: Error creating transactional
connection factory
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.connectionpool.AbstractConnectionPoolFactory.loadDriver(AbstractConnectionPoolFactory.java:47)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.connectionpool.BoneCPConnectionPoolFactory.createConnectionPool(BoneCPConnectionPoolFactory.java:54)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.ConnectionFactoryImpl.generateDataSources(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:238)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.ConnectionFactoryImpl.initialiseDataSources(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:131)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.ConnectionFactoryImpl.<init>(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:85)