hive-user mailing list archives

From Viral Bajaria <viral.baja...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Error : "Cannot create a path from empty string"
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 16:27:11 GMT
Since the output is from an intermediate step it was already cleaned up and I wasn't able to
check.

Isn't the stack trace below saying that the path string was empty and not the contents of
the file ? Or am I reading it wrong ?

The query runs with a few conf changes like HiveInputFormat, num mappers, num reducers, don't
compress to name a few... Very standard stuff.

When I remove them the query works fine and I have confirmed that data is returned when query
runs successfully.

Thanks
Viral

-----Original Message-----
From: "unmesha sreeveni" <unmeshabiju@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎5/‎7/‎2015 3:16 AM
To: "User - Hive" <user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Error : "Cannot create a path from empty string"

Did you checked the Path?Whether it is empty or contain contents?

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Viral Bajaria <viral.bajaria@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

We are facing a weird error in a multi-stage mapreduce job (> 10 jobs).

A few stages run fine and then randomly 1 of the job would fail with the following error:

2015-05-07 07:56:01,467 WARN org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child: Error running child
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can not create a Path from an empty string
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path.checkPathArg(Path.java:82)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path.<init>(Path.java:90)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveInputFormat$HiveInputSplit.getPath(HiveInputFormat.java:110)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.updateJobWithSplit(MapTask.java:451)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runOldMapper(MapTask.java:409)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1190)
2015-05-07 07:56:01,469 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Task: Runnning cleanup for the taskI
checked the mapred.input.dir and it's reading from the intermediate output of the previous
job. It's a valid HDFS path, so not sure why the child finds an empty string.Any pointers
to what else we can debug ?Thanks,Viral

--

Thanks & Regards

Unmesha Sreeveni U.B

Hadoop, Bigdata Developer
Centre for Cyber Security | Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham

http://www.unmeshasreeveni.blogspot.in/