hive-user mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <alanfga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Orc file and Hive Optimiser
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:13:37 GMT

> Mich Talebzadeh <mailto:mich@peridale.co.uk>
> April 19, 2015 at 12:32
>
> Finally this is more of a speculative question. If we have ORC files
> that provide good functionality, is there any reason why one should
> deploy a columnar database such as Hbase or Cassandra If Hive can do
> the job as well?

Yes, there is.  Hive is designed around the assumption that you will be
doing scans of significant amounts of data, as are most data warehousing
type solutions.  It doesn't have the right tools to handle efficient
lookup of single rows or small ranges of rows.  That's what HBase is
good at.  I don't know Cassandra as well as HBase, but my impression is
that efficient single row/small range lookup is it's sweet spot as well,
it just makes a different consistency/partitioning trade off than HBase
does.

This means that Hive with ORC is still a bad fit for transactional or
front end serving applications.

Alan.