hive-user mailing list archives

From Steve Howard <stevedhow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Executing HQL files from JAVA application.
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 20:24:48 GMT
I would argue that executing arbitrary code from a random remote server has just increased
your security scope footprint in terms of the need to control another access point.

Purely out of curiosity, is there a compelling architectural reason or environment limitation
that results in your need to do it this way?

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 25, 2015, at 9:57 AM, Amal Gupta <Amal.Gupta1@aexp.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gopal,
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Connectivity to the HiveServer2 was not an issue. We were able to connect using the example
that you shared and using Beeline. The issue is a script execution from java app. May be I
missed something, but I was not able to find an efficient and elegant way to execute hive
scripts placed at a specific location from the java app.

> The scenario is
> App Placed at a location A should be able to connect to hiveServer2 at B and execute
script TestHive.hql placed at a location on B(say root/testProject/hive/scripts/TestHive.hql).

> Regards,
> Amal

to be the culprits. I am currently trying to re-align the dependencies  as per the pom given
on the mvnrepository.com while trying to see if a particular configuration succeeds.

> Will keep you posted on my progress.  Thanks again for all the help that you are providing.
>
> Regards,
> Amal

contains a drop and a create statement.

> Script :-
>
> use test_db;
> DROP TABLE IF EXISTS demoHiveTable;
> CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE demoHiveTable (
> demoId string,
> demoName string
> ) ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n'
>
> STORED AS TEXTFILE LOCATION '/hive/';
>

> Java Code: -
> Not sure whether this will have an impact but the the code is a part of Spring batch
Tasklet being triggered from the Batch-Context. This tasklet runs in parallel with other tasklets.

> public RepeatStatus execute(StepContribution arg0, ChunkContext arg1)
>
> throws Exception {
>                    String[] args =
> {"-d",BeeLine.BEELINE_DEFAULT_JDBC_DRIVER,"-u","jdbc:hive2://<server-name>:
> 10000/test_db",
>
> "-n","******","-p","******",
> "-f","C://Work//test_hive.hql"};
>
>                    BeeLine
> beeline = new BeeLine();
>                    ByteArrayOutputStream os = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
>                    PrintStream beelineOutputStream = new PrintStream(os);
>                    beeline.setOutputStream(beelineOutputStream);
>                    beeline.setErrorStream(beelineOutputStream);
>                    beeline.begin(args,null);
>                    String output = os.toString("UTF8");
>                    System.out.println(output);
>
> return RepeatStatus.FINISHED;
>       }
>
> It will be great if you can share the piece of code that worked for you.
> May be it will give me some pointers on how to go ahead.
>

> Best Regards,
> Amal

DDL statement like DROP TABLE has to run in its own transaction and cannot be  combined with
a DML statement.

> Now I suspect that when you run the command DROP TABLE IF EXIASTS <TABLE_NAME>;
 like below in beehive it works

> 0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> drop table if exists mytest; No rows affected
(0.216 seconds)

> That runs in its own transaction so it works. However, I suspect in JAVA that is not
the case. Can you possibly provide your JAVA code to see what exactly it is  doing.

> Thanks,
>
> Mich
>
> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com
>
> Publications due shortly:
> Creating in-memory Data Grid for Trading Systems with Oracle TimesTen and Coherence Cache
>
> NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This message is
for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended  recipient, you should destroy
it immediately. Any information in this message shall not be understood as given or endorsed
by Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure  that this email is virus free, therefore neither
Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any responsibility.

my app and this looks a much better solution going forward.  In the last  couple of hours
I have tried to work with beeline but have been facing some issues.

> 1.
> I was able to run on the remote server command line a beeline command given below . This
was successful.

> beeline -u jdbc:hive2://<server-name>:10000/test_db
> org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver -n ***** -p ****** -f /hive/scripts/demoHiveTable.hql
>
> 2.
> Running the same from the java app results in the issues.  My script contains a drop
table for the demoTable but the table is not dropped when running
> from java.   (DROP TABLE IF EXISTS demoHiveTable;)  . I see the following
> logs.
>
> SLF4J: This version of SLF4J requires log4j version 1.2.12 or later. See also http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#log4j_version
> Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.hasMoreLogs()Z
>       at org.apache.hive.beeline.Commands$1.run(Commands.java:839)
> Connecting to jdbc:hive2: ://<server-name>:10000/test_db
>
> Connected to: Hive (version 0.12-mapr-1401-140130)
> Driver: Hive (version 0.12-mapr-1401-140130) Transaction isolation: TRANSACTION_REPEATABLE_READ
> 0: jdbc:hive2://<server-name>:10000/test_db > DROP TABLE IF EXISTS demoHiveTable;
No rows affected (0.797 seconds) org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.getQueryLog()Ljava/util/List;

> Closing: 0: jdbc:hive2://<server-name>:10000/test_db
>
> I tried running the following commands
>
> String[] args =
> {"-d",BeeLine.BEELINE_DEFAULT_JDBC_DRIVER,"-u","jdbc:hive2://<server-name:1
> 0000/test_db",
>
> "-n","******","-p","******",
> "-f","C://Work//test_hive.hql"};
>
> And
>
> String[] args = {"beeline","-u","jdbc:hive2://  ://<server-name:10000/test_db²,
>
> "org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver","-n","******","-p","******","-f","C://Wor
> k//test_hive.hql"};
>
> 3.
> The link I referred was from googlesource (https://apache.googlesource.com/hive/+/a681b57609ae306c7623491549cc0176b6c
> df38d/beeline/src/test/org/apache/hive/beeline/src/test/TestBeeLineWithArgs
> .java)
>
> 4.
> I also see that there are errors being propagated back to the application.
> Is there some configuration to get detailed logs too?
>

> Not sure if I am missing something here.
>
> Any pointers or assistance will be of great help.
>
> Regards,
> Amal

of ways of doing it through JDBC driver for hive and through spring jdbc template  but yet,
the only way which was successful for me was to create a runtime process and then execute
it.

> The java code to do that is
>
> Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec((new  String[]{"hive","-f","/hive/scripts/demoHiveTable.hql"}));
>

> Although this works but, I wanted to know if there is better way to do it using some
driver functionality or any other api for hive. The method I used will do the execution for
me, but yet, in case of failures while executing the hql script, the same will not be visible
to the Java application.

> Any pointers or suggestions will be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance.
>

> Please let me know in case you need any other details from me.
>

> Regards,
> Amal

> American Express made the following annotations ________________________________________
>
> "This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message  and any attachments
is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply
e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."

> American Express a ajouté le commentaire suivant le Ce courrier et toute pièce jointe
qu'il contient sont réservés au seul destinataire indiqué et peuvent renfermer des renseignements
confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, toute divulgation,
duplication, utilisation ou distribution  du courrier ou de toute pièce jointe est interdite.
Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser par courrier et
détruire immédiatement le courrier et les pièces jointes. Merci.