hive-user mailing list archives

From Parth Anand <Parth.An...@pb.com>
Subject External Table without Location
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:34:41 GMT
Hi,

I was trying to create External table in hive.

I used "create external table ext_2 (id string,name string) row format delimited fields terminated
by ',' stored as textfile" command.

This command created a table with external property as I checked by using "describe formatted
ext_1" command.

But when I used "Load data inpath 'file_path' into table ext_1" command to load data in table,
File in that path is transferred to hive directory.

According to documentation of external table at the time of creation external table we have
to mention location of its file.
and that file is not relocated to hive directory but in this case it is not behaving same.
I am able to create external table without  giving file path at the time of creation and that
file is also getting transferred to Hive Directory.

Can you please explain the usage of external table?? Is this is a bug?

Regards
Parth Anand