hive-user mailing list archives

From Amal Gupta <Amal.Gup...@aexp.com>
Subject RE: Executing HQL files from JAVA application.
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:57:06 GMT
Hi Gopal,

Thanks a lot.
Connectivity to the HiveServer2 was not an issue. We were able to connect using the example
that you shared and using Beeline. The issue is a script execution from java app. May be I
missed something, but I was not able to find an efficient and elegant way to execute hive
scripts placed at a specific location from the java app.

The scenario is
App Placed at a location A should be able to connect to hiveServer2 at B and execute script
TestHive.hql placed at a location on B(say root/testProject/hive/scripts/TestHive.hql).

Regards,
Amal

-----Original Message-----
From: Gopal Vijayaraghavan [mailto:gopal@hortonworks.com] On Behalf Of Gopal Vijayaraghavan
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:49 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Cc: Amal Gupta
Subject: Re: Executing HQL files from JAVA application.

Hi,

Any mechanism which bypasses schema layers for SQL is a bad idea.

See this example for how you can connect to HiveServer2 directly from Java
-
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveServer2+Clients#HiveSe
rver2Clients-JDBCClientSampleCode

Use the JDBC driver to access HiveServer2 through a first-class Java API.

If you find any performance issues with this method, let me know and I can fix it.

Cheers,
Gopal