hive-user mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Does HCatalog subsume Metastore?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 18:35:19 GMT
HCatalog supports all types of Hive tables.  You can think of it as basically and access layer
for non-Hive clients to read and write Hive's metadata.

Alan.

From: Fabian Hueske <fhueske@gmail.com<mailto:fhueske@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 2:14
To: "user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>" <user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Does HCatalog subsume Metastore?

Hi everybody,

I want to add support for reading Hive-managed data to Apache Flink and have a question regarding
the overlap of HCatalog and Hive metastore.

Is it sufficient to add support for HCatalog or do we also need to add an InputFormat for
"regular" Hive metastore tables? So basically, does the HCatalogInputFormat only provide access
to tables which were created and managed through HCatalog or can it also read "regular" Hive
tables in setups that do not use HCatalog?

Thanks and best regards, Fabian