hive-user mailing list archives

From Guy Doulberg <>
Subject RE: Hive Json Serde
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2015 06:50:22 GMT
Hi Udit
3 years ago I extended the hive-JSON-serde to support maps and arrays. I think I am the only
user of this code, ☺

It still work for me today with hive 13

You can find my code here:

Using this serde you can declare a unique field also called json_value which will return the
json as is on which you can execute json_object method

From: Udit Mehta []
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 8:31 PM
Subject: Hive Json Serde

I am using hive from HDP 2.2 and need to create a Hive table to query multilevel Json data
in HDFS of the following format:
    "timestamp": "1424100629409",
    "head": {
        "time": "2015-02-16T15:30:29.409Z",
        "place": {
            "url": null,
            "country": "US"
        "event_type": null,
        "name": "hive_test",
        "event_id": "1234",
        "metadata": {
            "scope": "search",
            "context": "test",
            "extra_info": null
    "sourceType": "test_source",
    "millisecond": null,
    "sourceFile": "test_file"
I am currently using the json serde :
But this does not let me define a table of the above format where the "head" key has a few
"string:string" mappings and a few "string:maps".
Does anyone know of a serde to define a table in this format?
Any help will be appreciated.
View raw message